Opinion L.A.

Observations and provocations
from The Times' Opinion staff

« Previous Post | Opinion L.A. Home | Next Post »

Compact, communal and collaborative: What Mark Zuckerberg may have known all along about creating productivity in the modern office space

Desk Much has been made about Mark Zuckerberg's desk -- mainly that it's nondescript and one among many within his Facebook headquarters. Rather than opting for a corner office with a view and a door, the 26-year-old CEO and Time magazine's Person of the Year chooses to sit with his employees.

For someone who isn't portrayed as all that personable, this detail seems to make him more likable -- as though it somehow proves that deep down he's just a regular guy who still wants to sit with his friends. But maybe there's more of an explanation as to why Zuckerberg sits out in the open; perhaps it's a calculated decision aimed at creating a communal environment for increased productivity.

In an article from Wednesday's edition of The Times, the Business section looks at how shrinking office spaces may transform the corporate environment into a place that's more collaborative and therefore more effective. 

"In the 1970s, American corporations typically thought they needed 500 to 700 square feet per employee to build an effective office. Today's average is a little more than 200 square feet per person, and the space allocation could hit a mere 50 square feet by 2015, said Peter Miscovich, who studies workplace trends as a managing director at brokerage Jones Lang LaSalle.

[…]

Companies have been gradually dialing back on office size and grandness for years, but the recession accelerated the trend as sobered owners let go of their old floor plans and tried new ways to speed productivity, attract talent and cut costs."

Of course, for all of the potential benefits that may come with more compact work spaces -- saving money for the employer, fostering community and productivity among employees -- there is a downside for those who must sit near an "over-sharer." And unlike the ability to hide friends on Facebook, in the real world there's no way to "block" someone who verbalizes too many status updates.

RELATED:

The Zuckerberg revolution

-- Alexandra Le Tellier 

Photo: Mark Zuckerberg at his desk. Credit: Screenshot from "60 Minutes" segment about Facebook and Zuckerberg.

 

Comments () | Archives (1)

The comments to this entry are closed.

newbedave

Zuckerberg is a champion of spying and privacy compromise and is a corporate lap dog of the political elite do you work for the CIA was it sitting next to bush Shame on you Time
zuckerberg its not the money that motivates you and its not facebook or democracy its the thief of facebook you STOLE the name facebook you STOLE the idea and the CONCEPT facebook and it is this that motivates you THIS is you zuckerberg concealing the TRUTH and you are following a psychological profile of a THIEF
THEN we have divya navendra says facebook is his idea and the winklevoss and there is wayne chang and paul ceglia and zuckerberg simply saw a opportunity chance to steal the idea facebook
david kirkpatrick was given all the emails and was made fully aware of how zuckerberg stole facebook in the beginning kirkpatrick given 80% of the emails kirkpatrick then ask if there was more ' yes there is more but ask kirkpatrick that he must reveal the truth the other 20% was email from paul ceglia

AND YOU CALL FACEBOOK AND ZUCKERBERG A ROAD TO DEMOCRACY ITS A SET UP JUST LIKE IRAQ
where you promote politicians to be used like puppets to promote bush idea of democracy democracy is a choice dic and the leaks have made it harder for western governments to dupe their citizens into accepting potential future wars

JULIAN IS THE CLEAR WINNER


Connect

Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


Categories


Recent Posts
Reading Supreme Court tea leaves on 'Obamacare' |  March 27, 2012, 5:47 pm »
Candidates go PG-13 on the press |  March 27, 2012, 5:45 am »
Santorum's faulty premise on healthcare reform |  March 26, 2012, 5:20 pm »

Archives
 


About the Bloggers
The Opinion L.A. blog is the work of Los Angeles Times Editorial Board membersNicholas Goldberg, Robert Greene, Carla Hall, Jon Healey, Sandra Hernandez, Karin Klein, Michael McGough, Jim Newton and Dan Turner. Columnists Patt Morrison and Doyle McManus also write for the blog, as do Letters editor Paul Thornton, copy chief Paul Whitefield and senior web producer Alexandra Le Tellier.



In Case You Missed It...